Nov 5, 2008

Freeing our Minds

At first I wasn't sure I wanted to write about the election, but I've (obviously) changed my mind.
Why should I censor myself? Did I not take an oath to write faithfully and above all honestly?
Today my fellow bloggers and blog-readers, is November Fifth. And yesterday we made history.
All men are created equal has become a fact today, not just a sweet melody sung on a bad day.
Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation freed us from the shackles around our wrists that bound us to this land, and yesterday when America declared Barack Obama the President-Elect, our souls were freed from the oppression of our own low morale and the weight of even lower expectations.
Today we are in body and spirit and mind free.
I watched him on TV breath held in nervous anticipation, barely daring to believe him when he said: Yes we can.
And last night as I listened to him speak, same as I have over the last few months, I looked at his face with reverence, disbelief, humility, and awe and answered:
You were right.
Yes we did.

No comments: